I love tuna salad! It’s packed with protein, it’s filling, and you can spice it up however you like. Major drawback— tuna plays well with crackers and toast; think tuna melt, or mini tuna sandwiches! (le sigh). When I entered the paleo/gluten-free/keto/whole30 world and eliminated grains, I indirectly cut out tuna.
But, one thing I love about my new eating habits are that they encourage creativity, and innovation. From such creativity and innovation came this amazing Avocado Tuna Salad and cucumber combo. Full of protein, vitamin B, and omega-3 my tuna of choice is solid white albacore.
Swapping cucumbers for crackers and toast keeps the carbohydrate and calorie count low. Plus cucumbers are nature’s beauty bombs! Swapping avocado for mayo keeps the fat content high, while adding essential vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
This is a perfect post-gym snack!!! But, be careful not to consume too much albacore tuna if you’re pregnant or trying to conceive (mercury content). I make a batch per month and always crave more! Enjoy.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 – 5 ounce can of Solid White Albacore Tuna in water, drained
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ cup of chopped celery
- ¼ cup of white onion
- 1 hard boiled egg, peeled and chopped (include yolk)
- 1 cucumber
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher. Mash until it is a semi-smooth consistency
- Add in tuna, celery, red onion, and mix well.
- Add boiled egg
- Serve on cucumbers sliced thick enough to hold the mixture
- Keep refrigerated and enjoy!